As a business owner, your roofing material choices go on and on. Flat roof solutions are affordable and easy to maintain and repair. These materials are built onto your roof system directly to provide the exact coverage and protection you’re looking for. For more information about your flat roofing options in the Richardson, TX area or to schedule your service, call the Pillar Roofing & Construction team at (972) 798-8901.
Flat Roofing Material Options
Along with new flat roofing solutions like silicone or TPO, there are tried and true options that have been used for decades and are still favorites among professionals. Roofing materials such as modified bitumen and built-up roofing provides multilayered protection that is reinforced with asphalt to ensure superior protection. These affordable choices last for years and deliver simple upkeep and repair options. Both of these roof systems offer incredible benefits such as
- Extreme Resistance to Water: These materials are built in layers to provide unbeatable water protection.
- Impact and Tear Protection: Since these roofs are layered, impacts and tears are less likely to penetrate your entire system.
- Energy Efficiency: These roofing systems provide superior UV protection to help keep your building’s temperature uniform.
- Low Maintenance: Both modified bitumen versions and built-up roofing systems deliver a low maintenance finished product for easy care.
- Affordability: These roofing systems are two of the least expensive flat roof styles on the market. Low installation cost together with long life expectancy delivers even more savings.
This flat roofing option provides commercial buildings with easy maintenance and a roofing system lifespan of approximately 30 years. Built-up roofs are one of the most affordable flat roofing options, and are constructed with layers of bitumen and fabric and are installed in a three-layer process to ensure complete protection from weather and UV rays.
What is Built-Up Roofing?
The bitumens typically used in the process include coal tar, asphalt, or cold-applied adhesives depending on typical weather conditions and other environmental factors. The first step in a built up roofing system installation is the base layer, which is fastened either mechanically or with adhesive. Multiple layers can be added in this step to provide better protection and a greater warranty. A cap layer of tar is then mopped onto the layers of bitumen and covered with a layer of gravel to help set the layers and protect against sun and weather.
Modified bitumen roofs are incredibly resistant to tears and impacts as well as being waterproof. These roof systems provide flexibility to protect against seam separation and can deliver enhanced energy efficiency for your structure. While these systems take longer to install, they are one of the most affordable and effective commercial flat roofing choices available. These systems also offer quick repair and low maintenance for easy care and upkeep.
The fumes from a built up roofing system are considered toxic until set, so this type of roof installation should be left to the professionals. Built-up roofing systems can also be applied over existing single ply roofs by applying a venting layer. This can save you thousands on the removal of an old roofing system.
Modified Bitumen Roofing
Modified Bitumen Roofing
Much like a built up roofing system, modified bitumen is a cost-effective commercial roofing solution for low pitch buildings. This single ply system is fully customizable, and can last up to 20 years with minimal maintenance.
What is Modified Bitumen?
A modified bitumen roofing system combines the layers of a built-up roofing system to a one-step single ply roll. This one-step procedure makes installation quick and easy for a professional roofing team such as Pillar Roofing in Richardson, TX. Once the base sheet is installed according to the fastening style, the modified bitumen cap sheet is applied.
Modified bitumen systems can have extra protective formulas added at the manufacturing level to increase the temperature flexibility, weatherability, and elasticity of the material.
- APP Cap Sheet: This modified bitumen has a smooth surface with no granules. It is suitable for most low slope roof applications and may be used for roof system flashing including wall treatments, base flashing, and field flashing.
- SBS Cap Sheet: A modified bitumen solution with granules that comes in many colors depending on the manufacturer. It is suitable for most low slope roof applications and may be used for roof system flashing including wall treatments, base flashing, and field flashing.
- Premium Cap Sheet 960 CoolStar: This is a heavy duty SBS modified, fiberglass cap sheet with reflective CoolStar granules.
Once the base and cap sheets are installed, a roof coat can be applied for extra protection.
Professional Roofers You Can Depend On
No matter what type of flat roofing system you choose for your Richardson, TX building, the Pillar Roofing & Construction experts can deliver flawless installation and repair. Our professionals walk you through your roof service explaining materials and costs to ensure that you receive the service you expect. For knowledgeable flat roofing in the Richardson, TX area, call the Pillar Roofing & Construction roofers at (972) 798-8901 to schedule your appointment.